After nearly two months of being down due to a blown wheel, the Sedona is finally seeing pavement again.
Because the 1991 Macintosh Classic project has (mostly) been sorted out for now, I’ve decided to turn my attention to getting the 2016 Giant Sedona back up and running.
Back in late August and September, two different problems cropped up with the Sedona after having a (mostly) uneventful summer. In August, one of the chainrings mysteriously bent while riding. Later, in early September, a tire blowout practically destroyed the rim.
In my previous general update, I received a new wheel thanks to Modern Bike, my parts vendor. The tire, thankfully, wasn’t damaged – so the only things I needed was a new wheel and new tube.
I got the tire mounted and installed perfectly fine right after receiving it, but I didn’t have the special tool that helps me in removing the cassette off the old wheel so I can put it on the new wheel. Thanks to a local friend who has helped me on a couple occasions (most notably helping me straighten the chain) I was able to get the cassette off after he lent me his chain whip.
Installing the cassette on the new wheel was as easy as the time I did it back in May.
The wheel went back on the bike, and I took it for a test spin. The bike rides okay, but it feels like the rear derailleur needs to be adjusted slightly so that it shifts smoother – especially in higher gears. That may or may not be a symptom of the damaged chainring, though.
The next thing to do to the Sedona is replace the damaged crankset. Due to the strain COVID-19 has placed on the distribution channels for bicycle parts, the replacement crankset I need has been sold out. Thankfully, the bike seems to ride mostly fine (at least for getting from point A to point B) unless you do a lot of shifting or go up lots of hills and inclines.