Kewanee Boiler was a manufacturer of firetube boilers located in Kewanee, Illinois from 1891 until they ceased operations in 2002.
Boiler manufacturing in Kewanee began in 1868, when Valerius D. Anderson started manufacturing steam pressure cookers. Anderson’s company started producing boilers for heating applications in the early 1870s. By 1875, Anderson handed over the reigns of the company to William Haxtun. Haxtun renamed the company as the “Haxtun Steam Heater Company” and expanded into manufacturing tubes, pipes and various valves associated with boilers. Later, two gentleman – John Pierce and Emerit E. “Double-E” Baker (E.E. Baker) – would join the company.
Haxtun retired in 1891 and sold his share to the National Tube Company, which soon changed the name from Haxton Steam to the Western Tube Company. Pierce assumed the role as the leader of Western Tube, which focused on manufacturing valves, pipes, and tubes.
E.E. Baker would soon leave Western Tube, starting his own company. Baker, along with various former Western Tube employees, formed the Kewanee Boiler Company in 1891.
At the turn of the century, Kewanee Boiler soon moved to a larger facility at 101 Franklin Street – a space they occupied until operations ceased in 2002.
Kewanee developed the smokeless boiler in 1906 and made major contributions to both World Wars in assisting with producing wartime materials, such as locomotive and ship boilers and more.
In 1929, E.E Baker died at 74 years old. He made several philanthropic contributions in the Kewanee community, such as starting a fund for several city parks and financial contributions to a clinic for children with disabilities.
That same year, Kewanee was purchased by American-Standard. Throughout the 20th century, American-Standard was a large producer of industrial equipment, ranging from boilers to blowers to plumbing equipment. American-Standard would retain ownership of Kewanee Boiler until 1972, when they sold Kewanee to LaCrosse Plumbing Supply.
In 1990, Kewanee changed hands again – this time to the Burnham Boiler Company of Pennsylvania. Burnham would continue manufacturing boilers in Kewanee – under the Kewanee name – until 2002, when they ceased operations there and dropped the name.
In 2018, demolition began of the former Kewanee Boiler facility began.
Although Kewanee went defunct in 2002, many Kewanee Boilers still provide reliable and safe heat for buildings everywhere. In Kewanee, the history of Kewanee Boiler is still celebrated. For instance, Kewanee’s high school mascot is the “Boilermakers.”
In addition to boilers and the pipes/valves for boilers, another company based in Kewanee, Illinois manufactured an item often used near boilers. The Kewanee Manufacturing Company manufactured doors, including coal chutes used in buildings and homes throughout the early 1900s. (Other prominent industry in Kewanee include Boss Manufacturing, a manufacturer of gloves. Sandy’s, a fast food chain sold to Hardee’s in the 1970s, was also headquartered in Kewanee.)
- Kewanee Boiler photos – Kewanee Historical Society
- “Evolution and History of Kewanee Boiler” – Kewanee Historical Society (PDF)
November 2020. Last updated 2-12-2021. Special thanks to Mike DeWalt and the Kewanee Historical Society.